How many external users are included in my Office 365 plan?
- SharePoint Online for Office 365 Small Business : up to 500 unique external users per month
- SharePoint Online for Office 365 Midsize Business : up to 10,000 unique external users per month
- SharePoint Online for Office 365 Enterprise, Education, and Government: up to 10,000 unique external users per month
What is the definition of an external user?
- An external user is a person who has been granted access to your SharePoint Online site, but who is not a licensed user within your organisation.
- External users are users who are not employees, contractors, or onsite agents for either you or your affiliates.
What does an external user have rights to do?
- View and Edit Documents using Office Web Apps
- If the customer has an Enterprise plan then the external user is granted rights to use Enterprise features
- View, add, update and delete list items and documents (based on permissions)
- View other site content and sub-site content that they have been given permission to see.
What can’t an external user do?
- They do not have their own personal site or SkyDrive Pro document library
- Cannot see a companywide newsfeed
- Cannot edit their own profile
- Cannot be an administrator
- Cannot access the Search centre or execute searches against "everything".
You can view more information regarding SharePoint Online boundaries and limits at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/sharepoint-online-software-boundaries-and-limits-HA102694293.aspx?#_Toc351114837
For detailed definitions of an external user, visit http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/what-is-an-external-user-HA104036809.aspx?